Update: Announced on March 26, schools will be closed until May 4. Governor Walz acknowledged it could be longer, depending on how the outbreak progresses.
Today, Governor Tim Walz and Education Commissioner Mary Cathryn Ricker announced that all Minnesota public schools will close to students starting Wednesday, March 18, 2020 with the plan to resume instruction on Monday, March 30, 2020.
The Journey School (TJS) will have classes on Monday, March 16th and Tuesday, March 17th. Due to TJS scheduled Spring Break, classes will resume on Monday, April 6, 2020. The school buses will resume transporting students to and from school on Monday and Tuesday as well.
During the school closure for students, TJS will be joining school districts and charter schools across the state to create plans to equitably distribute distance learning to our students should we need to close schools statewide for a longer period of time due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The Minnesota Department of Education is defining distance learning to mean that a student receives daily interaction with their licensed teacher(s) and appropriate educational materials. Starting March 30, 2020, per the instruction from the Minnesota Department of Education, student learning will continue for the rest of the school year.
Our teachers and staff will be giving thoughtful planning to our distance learning plan, offering careful consideration for students in a variety of areas, including students receiving special education services, students experiencing homelessness, and students who rely on meals served at school.
Once our distance learning plan is finalized we will communicate the plan to families by email, text, website, and other means.
As always, our first priority is the safety and well-being of our students. We also want to ensure every child has access to the education they need and deserve.
Please note the following:
- 1) TJS school days this week are Monday, March 16th & Tuesday, March 17th – buses will transport students on those days as well
- 2) The students’ Science and Fine Arts Fair Projects will be judged tomorrow
- 3) Homework packets will be sent home on Monday and Tuesday – please check your child’s backpack
- 4) There is no MCA Test Prep Study Session after school on Tuesday for grades 3 – 6
- 5) The Science and Fine Arts Fair is postponed until further notice
- 6) Student-Led Conferences are postponed until further notice
We will continue to keep you informed as we navigate COVID-19.
Mrs. Cambrice, M.Ed.