The Journey School (TJS) encourages designated staff to make purchases that are essential for school operations, that are necessary and reasonable and within the school’s budget. This policy supports TJS’s compliance with state and federal laws concerning the use of public money in educational institutions. TJS is liable to the financial institution which issues the credit card and/or debit card and pays the monthly statement directly.
General Statement of Policy
- TJS’s normal approval, limits, and purchasing policies and procedures apply for all credit card expenditures.
- The credit card will have a maximum credit limit of no more than $10,000 and TJS will not utilize the cash advance option.
- Reward points shall only be used to pay down the statement balance
Responsibilities and Monitoring
- A. Authorized signers of the card will be limited to the Director, or his/her designee.
- B. Cardholders are responsible for adhering to all TJS policies when using their credit card and/or debit card
- C. Expenditures must be in the approved budget. Personal use is strictly prohibited. Unauthorized use of the school credit card and/or debit card subjects the purchaser to discipline up to and including termination.
- D. When not in use, the credit card and/or debit card will be kept in a secure place.
- E. Cardholders shall obtain a detailed receipt for all purchases. Failure to provide a detailed receipt will make the purchaser responsible for the expenditure incurred. Those expenditures are to be reimbursed to TJS no later than 10 working days following notification of improper documentation or use of the school credit card/debit card. In certain circumstances, a claim may be allowed without a proper receipt. The Board of Directors will approve the issuance of all TJS credit cards/debit card. Credit cards/debit cards will be issued in the name of the employee of TJS. The person issued the credit card must immediately notify the credit card company and Director or Board Chair if it is lost or stolen.
- F. The person issued the credit card and/or debit card must immediately surrender the card to the Director or Board Chair when their affiliation with TJS has ended.
II. Board of Directors
- A. Use of a credit card/debit card to make approved purchases must be governed by policy developed and reviewed by the Board of Directors.
- B. Credit card/debit card statements will be reviewed monthly by the Board of Directors or Treasurer.
- C. The development and administration of the procedures for use of a credit card/debit card are the responsibility of the Director of TJS.