- The Journey School is an open enrollment public charter school.
- New Kindergarten applicants must be 5 by September 1st or seek admission under The Journey School Early Kindergarten Admission Policy. For children who turn age 5 between September 2nd-December 31stplease see Early Kindergarten Admission policy details below.
- Each student must complete an individual application (i.e. not one application for the family).
Early Kindergarten Admission
If a child turns five years old between September 2nd and December 31st, they may be eligible for consideration for early admission to kindergarten, based on the following procedures:
- Applications must indicate on the student’s application for admission that the student will turn five between September 2nd and December 31st.
- Children must complete a classroom observation and an Early Childhood Screening before they may enroll in the school.
- The screening results must be share with the school office. If the child passes the four Developmental screens and is assessed by the classroom observation teacher as kindergarten ready, they will be considered eligible for kindergarten and may enroll.
- Applications for early admission to kindergarten will be considered immediately after The Journey School’s general lottery. Students recommended for early admission to kindergarten will be enrolled after all kindergarten-eligible students are placed and there is additional space available.
- While a spot may be offered, enrollment is contingent on the screening of the child’s knowledge and understanding, physical motor skills, communication skills, social/ emotional development and an observation in a kindergarten classroom.
The application period for the upcoming school year begins the first Monday in December. In order to be included in The Journey School’s lottery for available seats, a student’s application must be received by the last Friday in February.
Official Enrollment and Lottery
In the event that we receive more applicants than spots available, The Journey School is required to conduct a lottery.
- In the event that it is needed the lottery will take place on the second Thursday in March
- Families will be notified of their enrollment status after the third Thursday in March
- All new applications will be entered into the lottery. Enrollment will be determined based on the order selected from the lottery
- Prior to accepting students by lottery, The Journey School provides enrollment preferences in the following situations:
- Siblings and foster siblings of currently enrolled students. Siblings are defined as children who share a legal guardian with a currently enrolled student
- Children of school staff
- The Journey School shall not discriminate against any student based on race, color, ethnicity, sex, age, national origin, ancestry, religion or creed, status with regard to public assistance, sexual orientation, disability, prior measures of achievement, aptitude, athletic ability, or for any other basis that would be unlawful for a public or charter school